CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 30, 2013

Mommy's Breastfeeding Essentials!

When I was pregnant people would ask me if I planned to breastfeed and my response always was "I plan to try." Sometimes it works, sometimes it takes lots of work, and other times it just doesn't happen despite mom's best efforts. 

I was very blessed and breastfeeding "just happened" for us. Yes, there were a few things that I knew to do to help the process, but I attribute a lot of our success to Christian just knowing how to latch and suck and the many items that supported my breastfeeding. 

If you are planning to breastfeed, this post is for you! 

Here are my "must haves" for breastfeeding: 

1. Mother Love Nipple Cream
I knew before Christian was born that nipple cream was going to be a must. I originally opted for the Lansinoh Brand Lanolin Nipple Cream. I began using this right away at the hospital because my nipples were SO SORE from feeding our little guy every 2-3 hours. However, after about 12 hours of using this and feeling barely any relief, I asked the nurses what they suggested and they brought me a sample of Mother Love Nipple Cream. OMG. This stuff was THE best! It was like bringing heavenly soothing to my nipples! Seriously. After using this I finally was able to stop cringing every time it was time to feed the baby again. It made breastfeeding in those early weeks and days so much more bearable. 
You can buy it on the Mother Love website for $9.95 for 1 ounce 
OR 
It is also available on amazon for $9.65 for 1 ounce

2. A Breastfeeding Pillow (Boppy, Mombo, Brestfriend)
Personally, I use the Boppy and love it! However, I have heard great things about the Brestfriend which is much firmer for positioning baby up higher and closer to you. The Brestfriend also has a strap that goes around your back so it doesn't slide out away from baby. The Brestfriend is a definite must if you are going to have a smaller baby. My little guy has been pretty big since day 1 and we haven't had any troubles with the Boppy. It also is multipurpose and is great for playing with baby on the floor and using for tummy time! The Mombo seems like a great mix between the firmness of the Brestfriend and the usability of the Boppy. Either way, you will want some sort of pillow as breastfeeding can be quite the job at first! You want the baby positioned as best as possible so you can have your hands as free as possible to help baby latch. All of them also come in a variety of designs! Unless you are choosing to use the Boppy or the Mombo (which can also be used for a tummy time and various other things) I would hold off on buying a Brestfriend until you make sure that breastfeeding is going to work for you and your baby. 




3. A Nursing Cover 
My biggest fear after Christian was born, was taking him out in public and feeding him. Breastfeeding was going fine for us, but I wasn't yet confident in feeding him with a nursing cover...at least not until I tried the Bebe au Lait nursing cover! During those first few days/weeks, nursing can be a three person job (mom, baby, and an extra set of hands). Trying to manage all of this out in public with a cover on is a daunting task! I had a cover which I thought was going to be great...but really, it just covered us up like a blanket and I couldn't see a thing! Then I met the Bebe au Lait nursing cover at Amma Parenting Center and knew I needed one! This thing has been a life saver and is worth every penny! The BEST part about this specific cover is the rigid neck line. This one is the BEST! Every nursing mom needs one! Plus, they are available in many different patterns. Again, I would make this purchase AFTER baby, just to make sure that breastfeeding is going to work. 


You can buy one online at www.bebeaulait.com for $35-38

OR 

They are also available on amazon for nearly $10 less! 

If you want to see one in person before making a purchase and you live in Minnesota, then I recommend visiting Amma Parenting Center in Edina!

4. WATER WATER WATER 
I can't emphasize this one enough! You need a lot of water to stay hydrated, but you need even more when you are breastfeeding. I started off drinking the recommended 8 glasses a day and soon realized 8 wasn't nearly enough! 10-12 glasses leaves me feeling much better! So get that water in! Find a water bottle that you easily drink from. For me, that means carrying around a cup with a straw because I can easily down 12+ glasses a day when I have my straw cup with me. Not only do you need the water to stay hydrated and feeling good, but you also need it to keep your milk supply up...so drink away! 


Available on amazon.com

5. Resources
Mom Friends  - Chances are you are going to need some emotional support at some point during your breastfeeding stint. Other moms can relate. Don't be afraid to reach out, whether that be to your current friends that might already have kids or by joining a local moms group like New Mama Group at Amma Parenting Center or MOPS
Supportive Partner - Take your partner with you to any classes you take on breastfeeding and fill them in on the whole process. You will be glad you did when you need that extra help in the first few days/weeks. Tell them what you are going to want to hear to be encouraged in your breastfeeding as well. 
Lactation Consultant - Despite our best efforts, sometimes we need extra help and encouragement. Generally a lactation consultant will visit you during your hospital stay and offer various tools and ideas to help you in breastfeeding. Make sure you know how to contact this person again if you need further help or have concerns in the future. Or, if you live in Minnesota, Amma Parenting Center offers free drop in baby weight checks and every Tuesday a Lactation Consultant is on site to answer any questions. This is an AMAZING resource! 

That's It! My top 5! 

You're probably wondering, "What about the nursing tanks, nursing bras, pump, and breast pads???" 

Well, I figure the bras, pump, and breast pads are givens...and you'll have to stay tuned for my thoughts on nursing tanks! Don't waste your money mamas!


post signature post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment