CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pregnancy Aches and Pains

Oh the joys of pregnancy! Being pregnant has honestly been A LOT different than I ever expected it to be. Maybe women don't usually advertise all the 'lows' of pregnancy or maybe I've just always envisioned pregnancy to be this beautiful, wonderful thing that feels no different than not being pregnant so I have disregarded any comments that may lead me to believe otherwise.

Since being pregnant I have dealt with 4 main 'not so fun' symptoms of pregnancy:

  1. Morning Sickness
  2. Depression
  3. Feeling tired 24/7
  4. Hip Pain 
Morning sickness nearly subsided for me around probably about 22 weeks. It still comes back here and there, but nothing like before. My depression is nearly managed, medication free, praise the Lord! I sleep as much as I can to try to help with feeling so tired, but then there was hip pain. 

Hip pain made it hard to even sleep. It started right around 24-25 weeks. So end morning sickness and begin hip pain. I asked my doctor about this and wrote about it in a previous post and he told me to try 3 things: 
  1. Heating it 
  2. Massaging it
  3. Stretching it 
Here are the results of his orders: 
  • Heat - I tried using a Thermacare heat patch. I wore it all day (heat lasts up to 8 hours) and I'm not sure my hip felt any better. I also tried using a rice sock type of heat pad and I think I enjoyed the heat in these cold Minnesota winters more than it actually helped anything. 
  • Massage - My hubby would massage around my hip and lower back each night and, honestly, I think this hurt more than anything, but it usually did result in better sleep. However, the pain relief was mainly only experienced while I was sleeping (if at all) so it really didn't seem to be a great option. 
  • Stretching - This is the option I tried last. I honestly wasn't really sure HOW to stretch my hip. But after some googling, I found this great stretch: 
    • Get down on all fours putting weight on your knees and elbows/forearms which should be resting on the floor. Rest your head down on your forearms as well to increase the stretch. Keep your knees bent enough to comfortably allow room for your belly. Begin to slowly rock your hips from left to right. Do this for a few minutes a couple times a day. Here is my embarrassing first attempt at this stretch (I didn't realize my husband was video taping me): 

This stretch probably has been the most helpful of the above suggestions. However, I would also recommend "Mamaste Yoga" which is free on itunes. I do the 20 minute Daily Practice podcast almost daily and have also found this to help a great deal. 

While all of the "doctor's orders" did not help, I did find one that really seemed to work for. Although, I did find something in addition which has seemed to help as well and something to which has probably helped the most: 
  • Pregnancy Pillow - Get one! If you are having hip pain I HIGHLY recommend this! I talked about this in a previous post but have to mention it again. This. Changed. My. Sleep!!! Maybe it just took the pressure off my joints while I was sleeping, but 1) I sleep WAY better and 2) My hip feels WAY better both during and after sleep. Its WAY worth the money. 
  • Swimming/Exercise - Honestly, my first reaction to hip pain was NOT to exercise. I know walking made me want to cry. But if you are doing the right kind of exercise, it is life changing. I can now walk with nearly no pain at all! If you can swim and have access to a pool, go! Walk in the pool and just swim. I try to do this for at least 30 minutes every other day or so. Also, if you are at the gym, or even at home, do some squats, those seem to really help too! 
Between the above exercises and sleep aids, my hip pain is nearly gone! I can walk without crying and can get exercise again, although, I have not returned to my regular daily walks quite yet. 


1 comments:

Valerie

I know hip pain has always been one of the health problems of most moms. And another problem is that pregnant moms cannot take joint support supplements because this might affect the baby. So it's just right to eat proper food and do some proper stretching exercises good for pregnancy.

Post a Comment