CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Maternity Clothes MUST HAVES

If I could go back and do my maternity shopping again, I think I would do it differently. Not that I don't have some cute pieces and clothes that I enjoy wearing, but I think I would have built my maternity wardrobe differently.

I was not a huge fan of needing to buy basically a whole new wardrobe that I would only be able to wear for 9 months and had decided I would buy the first things I found that were good deals...AKA on clearance or major sales...also mainly at Old Navy. I wasn't buying with any real 'game plan' for dressing, but was just buying to have clothes and options...also not really fully taking into account the seasons in which I would be pregnant.

Here are my tips and must haves: 

  1. Don't buy it just because it's on sale 
  2. Plan to splurge a little, but by buying cute, versatile pieces
  3. If it is late summer/early fall when you find out you are pregnant, shop the clearance sales for summer stuff that you can wear in the spring when you are super preggo. But then plan to indulge in good winter pieces (and vice versa) 

If you love skinny jeans (like me) invest in at least 1-2 pairs. 
I love Old Navy's Smooth Panel Rockstar Jeggings. I'm a fan of full panel maternity jeans as they put a lot less pressure on your tummy. Great for early pregnancy when you have morning sickness and late pregnancy when your belly is getting BIG. Only downside to these jeans is that I would also recommend getting a size up as well. I usually wear a 4 or a 6 so I ordered a 4 and a 6. The 4 fit at the beginning of pregnancy but now, my belly is too big and I only can wear the 6 comfortably. The belly band isn't the stretchiest.


I also recommend investing in at least 1-2 pairs of maternity leggings. Regular leggings can work below your baby bump, but again, this puts pressure on your tummy and I'm just not a fan. 



It's also a good idea to have at least 1-2 pairs of dress pants. I am a stay at home mommy to be, so not being at the office every day, this really isn't essential, but is nice for that special occasion that you hadn't planned for that comes up. For example a wedding, a fancy dinner out or special date night, or even a funeral. I love my motherhood maternity dress pants! They feel like I am wearing sweats! I have these in gray and brown. 


You also will probably like to have a pair of regular jeans. Again, I prefer the full panel. And I LOVE A Pea in the Pod. However, these jeans are quite pricey. I found mine at a thrift store (like new) and only $20. So shop around a little. Start looking early. These jeans hug your butt and aren't too saggy or baggy. My friends thought they were still my regular jeans! If you can afford to splurge, I would bet their skinny jeans here are even better than the Old Navy ones shown above. 

One last think you are going to want for your bottom half...some good and comfy sweat pants! My regular sweat pants have fit for the most part for all of my pregnancy. I'm 30 weeks now and some of them are starting to feel a little tight on my tummy. A good pair of yoga pants (probably a size up) would also be a worthy investment. Also for the sweat pants you could just buy regular sweat pants a size up. Otherwise I love my velour motherhood maternity sweats. They slope just right and sit below my belly perfectly and comfortably. 


Tank tops were/are a must have for me. I mainly wear these under low cut tops or to bed, but having a few is a good plan in my book. Again, I looked to Old Navy and found some great options, but don't overlook just buying some a size up. I usually wear a small and at 30 weeks am still rocking a size medium, although it is starting to get a little short... 


A couple plain long sleeve shirts (or short sleeve if it will be warmer when you are pregnant) 
is also a good investment. Very versatile and can be dressed up with dress pants or jeans and cute accessories like a necklace or scarf, or dressed down with those comfy sweats. 
Also, not a super spendy investment but still very practical and fashionable. 
You don't even have to buy maternity for these pieces. My favorite shirts are actually my plain long sleeve stretch shirts from Vanity bought 2 sizes up from my pre-pregnancy size. Gives extra space in the belly and extra length and doesn't look frumpy. Old Navy has some good basic tees for this as well. And here is another option at Target.


While this next "tip" almost contradicts my choice above for a plain tee, the plain tee is more about comfort and versatility. In winter you can also add an open sweater over the top and still be warm and cozy. Otherwise, when it comes to tops, I HIGHLY recommend choosing tops that provide definition between boobs and belly and that are more fitted to show off your belly. This helps you from becoming one giant slope and draws attention to your cute baby bump :) You will especially want this if you decide to get maternity pictures done. More fitted tops also help to make you feel like less of a house as you get bigger and bigger...as least that has been my experience.

Here are some of my favorite options...



This also makes for a great option because you will be able to wear it again once baby is here if you plan to breastfeed. I got a few nursing tops from Old Navy and they were fitted enough for pre-bump and stretchy enough once the bump came. 


I just bought this for our maternity pictures. I like it better with the tie above the bump more. 


I have also noticed that maternity clothing often does not come in long sleeve or thick, warm options. So plan to wear your pre-pregnancy open sweaters or invest in a couple versatile ones for covering up. Maybe I'm not the typical pregnant lady, but I have still been cold even with the extra blood flow! 

Finally, invest in a good dress. Something that could work for a variety of occasions probably is best. 

I was able to find a cute black dress at a thrift store that has been good for multiple occasions. One thing I would caution is buying a too short dress and too long. Unless you like long dresses that is. I bought a cute blue dress from Old Navy and have been waiting for my belly to get big enough so I don't look like a grandma with a calf length dress. It's not attractive on me. 

I think this dress is fun too! 

Well, there you have it! My top must have pieces and words of wisdom on maternity clothes. 
While you may be one of those lucky women who grow into their belly nicely and really enjoy pregnancy, I have been one that has felt fat and like a whale. Because of this, I enjoy getting to get cute new things from time to time to spice up my style and make me feel good about my looks. For that reason, if this might be you, I would also recommend buying slowly and not letting yourself fall into the idea that "one big splurge on sale items will last your whole pregnancy". That's what I did and would not have done it that way if I could do it over. 

Hope you have enjoyed my choices! 
Happy Shopping! :) 

post signature post signature
Please remember to click below and vote for me daily. 
One click is all it takes. 
Click To Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs. A Ranked & Rated Directory Of The Most Poular Mom Blogs

4 comments:

Becca at One Girl

Love this post (which is kind of funny considering I'm not near pregnant at all!). I do like those shirts that define your belly from your (ahem) girls, they are all cute!

Unknown

My favorite is the white top. The tips you have here would really be helpful. It's time for some shopping again. Thanks for sharing!

- NineAndAHalfMonths.com

Unknown

Thanks Becca! :) Take note for when your day comes :)

Unknown

Angel - I love that white top too! Don't own it...I can't bring myself to spend that much on 1 shirt that I can only wear for maybe 2 more months ha ha Happy Shopping to you, though!

Post a Comment